Many Ways to Get Involved
At Ascension Catholic School, we not only welcome volunteers from the community, we depend on them. With more than 300 eager learners in kindergarten through eighth grade, and a rigorous curriculum, volunteers play an important role in supporting our Scholars!
We offer numerous ways to engage:
Work one on one or in small group with Scholars in the classroom, supporting the Teacher, assisting with activities/groups.
Hours: Monday – Friday, between 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. on a scheduled basis with the classroom teacher.
This program pairs a volunteer with a Scholar for a one hour per week session to improve reading and language skills. You will attend a short orientation session to learn a highly effective curriculum that guides your tutoring. If interested, more information is available. Reading Partners has seen proven results in helping Scholars gain and/or improve on fundamental reading skills- a top goal toward closing the achievement gap.
- No formal teaching experience needed
- Must be 14 years or older and complete Safe Environment Training
- Commit just one hour a week, mid-September through early June with option to continue during SLAM program.
MCA Math Prep
This essential one-on-one program pairs volunteers with eighth grade Scholars to help prepare them for the Math MCAIII test. Volunteers need to have a basic knowledge of geometry and algebra, and the ability to work once a week with Scholars from October until testing in mid to late April.
Hours: Mondays or Thursdays from 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
General assistance shelving books, room organization, check in /out process,
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Support Scholars in 3-5th Grades, Latchkey, or our 6-8th Grade Middle School Youth with Homework Help, Tutoring, educational and outdoor activities.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 2 – 5pm.
Do you have a special talent, area of expertise or experience that you can share with our middle-school Scholars? Career exploration, college prep tips, cooking, entrepreneurship, sewing and leadership skills are examples of the topics we would love to cover. Sharing your gifts with our Scholars helps familiarize them with new ideas and opportunities.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 3– 5 p.m.
Many people want to help our Scholars succeed but aren’t able to commit to a regular volunteer schedule. Throughout the year, volunteers are needed for one-time events such as field trips, health screening day, school picture day, Christmas giving distribution. To be on an e-mail list for one time volunteer opportunities, please contact Margaret Conroy.
Requirements for all volunteers
The Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis mandates that all individuals who are in contact with children and/or vulnerable adults through a school, parish, or archdiocesan institution meet three criteria. All ministries of the parish, including the school, are mandated to participate in the three criteria listed below.
- A successful Background Check: Church of the Ascension, through the archdiocese, has contracted with a very reputable agency that has been used for years by the archdiocesan schools, parishes, and institutions to conduct background checks for all employees and volunteers.
- Participation in a VIRTUS Training session: VIRTUS is a program that identifies best practices designed to help prevent wrongdoing and promote “right doing” within religious organizations for the safe environment protection of youth and vulnerable adults. The VIRTUS program is mandated by the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis.
- Volunteer Code of Conduct: Individuals who work or volunteer with children and/or vulnerable adults are required to sign the “Volunteer Code of Conduct.” This code outlines what a volunteer will and will not do in their volunteer capacity.
For more information about volunteer opportunities or to schedule a tour of Ascension School, please contact:
Margaret Conroy, Volunteer Manager, at 763.760.3928
Volunteer Email ListSign up to receive occasional emails regarding volunteer opportunities.
Corporate or Group Opportunities
We would love to work with your employee group to find a volunteer program that works for us all. We currently partner with Land O’ Lakes Corp. for a lunchtime reading program called Book Buddies.
The Land O’ Lakes partnered with Ascension in 2014 to establish a reading program that promotes a one-to-one relationship between a volunteer Book Buddy and an Ascension Scholar. This program focuses on the importance and benefit to the scholar of being read TO by their Book Buddy.
Scholars in the lower grades-ideally 1st or 2nd grade – who are determined to benefit the most are chosen to participate. The Book Buddies meet once a week during lunch; while the scholars eat their lunch, the Book Buddy reads to them from books brought along from the classroom.
Book Buddies and Their Volunteers
Contact Our Volunteer Manager
For more information about volunteer opportunities or to schedule a tour of Ascension School, please contact: Margaret Conroy, Volunteer Manager, at 763.760.3928Email Margaret